Travel: Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Our second out of the country company outing was in Vietnam. This happened late 2015 when I just discovered that I was a few weeks pregnant. What I did was to immediately advise my boss of my condition prior to the trip since I'm fully aware of his booze plans in every outing we had and this trip is not an exemption.


Since this trip is shorter than our Taiwan or Bangkok trip (we arrived Friday and went back early Sunday) we just stayed on the city proper of Ho Chi Minh and explored what it has to offer. Friday was spent on a company dinner and on Saturday, we were on our own. Listed below are some of the places we visited and some of the things we did that day.





1. Saigon Cathedral of Notre Dame. This was built by the French in the 1880's using imported French materials. One of Ho Chi Minh's prominent attractions even if its a symbol of Catholicism in a largely Buddhist city. It got famous sometime in 2005 when the image of Virgin Mary in front of the Cathedral was reported to have shed tears.



2. War Remnants Museum. This place was actually my least favorite. I regret going inside because I went out with a very heavy feeling. This place screams of cruelness and helplessness brought out by the Vietnam and US war. I was afraid of how my baby would look like if I continue looking at pictures and stuff so I just sat on a corner and waited for my companions to finish checking out the place.



3. Saigon Opera House. Another symbol of French colonialism in Ho Chi Minh. Used as venue for different performing arts like ballet, concerts, traditional Vietnamese plays and operas. This is a 3 storey opera house that can hold 800 seats.



4. Independence Palace. A very important place in the history of this country because this is the place where Vietnam War ended. The tanks that crashed the palace's main gate signifying the end of war can be seen parked in its grounds. We were not able to check the insides of the palace since it was closed when we arrived.




5. Saigon Central Post Office. Another symbol of French colonialism and is one of the oldest building in the city. This building is said to be designed by famous French architect Gustave Eiffel - who also designed the Statue of Liberty and the famous Eiffel Tower. This post office is still functional and you could actually send a postcard with stamps to yourself/friends if you like to experience old school way of communication.



6. Street watching the flock of scooters. Upon arriving in the heart of its city, this immediately caught our attention. It was overwhelming to see a 'sea of scooters' crowding the streets 😄. Its like everyone owns one. We even saw a sexy lady in a see through dress, with full on make up riding her own girly ride. 😅
(pic grabbed from Google)

7. Hang out at rooftop bars. What better way to spend the end of a day in Ho Chi Minh than to enjoy some drinks with a stunning view of the city from a higher perspective. Since our company outing won't be complete without a night of booze drinking, the rooftop bar of Pullman Hotel where we are checked in served as a great venue for this activity. (I am exempted from the mandatory booze and consumed mocktails instead 😋).



8. Eat Pho Noodles. If Thailand has 'pad thai', Vietnam has its 'Pho noodles'.

 
(pic grabbed from Google)

9. Traditional Vietnamese iced coffee. They call it 'cà phê đá'. It's strong coffee with sweetened condensed milk, chilled on ice. I haven't had the chance to try this since I refrained myself from drinking coffee the whole stretch of my pregnancy.
 
(pic grabbed from Google)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe